Sunday, June 24, 2012

Francois Juranville’s new do

There was no cutting involved, just re-styling with a grabber from an 8-foot ladder. And though I scared myself a few times, this time I didn't fall off. I think the same people who shouldn't handle sharp knives also shouldn't climb tall ladders.

IMG_4113
Francois’ old 'do' was definitely dreamy, and all the ladies loved it.
IMG_4119
But I really think his canes need to be horizontal in order to add side-shoots for lots of blooming.
IMG_4121
There was also the matter of all the shade he made for all the sun-loving plants in this bed.
IMG_4115
Look what I found!!
IMG_4117
Clematis 'Ville de Lyon' is twelve feet up in the tree!! She was only planted this spring! Never figured she'd go up there.
IMG_4125
Francois was laying around everywhere.
IMG_4128
Peek-a-boo! 'Mary Rose' would rather not play hide and seek. So now that you've seen the before, I know you're wondering about the after.

IMG_4243
Voila! The upswept look.
IMG_4253
All of those long, long canes now go to the left and to the right and as far up as I could reach.
IMG_4245
His canes must have been fifteen feet long or more.
IMG_4246
Fortunately for me he doesn't have a lot of prickles - just enough to catch in the tree.
IMG_4254
Some canes were laid across the arbor. A few of the more strategic canes were tied in place - insurance against the wind.
IMG_4248
Now you can see the baby clematis, and hopefully, the daylilies and the rose will start doing a little better.
IMG_4268
Ah, there's Mary.
IMG_4265
The bench now has a view, and the chimes can be seen.
IMG_4257
In some not too distant spring these trees will be decorated with fat, pink 'Francois Juranville' blooms. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Francois is one of my largest roses. It is a monster on our pergola. Only "Rambling Rector" gives it a run for its money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be very pretty when its covered in flowers. Your backyard looks great!

    ReplyDelete