Sunday, October 30, 2011

Display of Roses - 10/29/11

Before we go there I found a few more awards that should be acknowledged here.

IMG_6499
IMG_6501
IMG_6509

The Queen’s table. I’m not sure if that’s the technical name for the best-est of the best, but it works for me.

IMG_6520

Now to the other side of the room where it was an absolute embarrassment of riches. It will also be an embarrassment if this blog with its eighty (80!) plus photos crashes Blogger. May I suggest before you proceed further that you procure food and water to sustain you through to the end, but if you’re thinking you might be tempted to make a second run, I’d save it for another day…if I were you.

IMG_6543
IMG_6546
IMG_6550

We’ll get my petite bouquet out of the way just so there’s no chance for comparisons. That’s Mrs. B. R. Cant in the center, some Louis Philippe and Bermuda’s Anna Olivier and Maman Cochet. Please don’t even think, “How artistic. She must have taken an arranging class.” This is a lesson in perseverance when everything wants to flop and face the floor. All of a sudden the tall ones leaned over and held up the floppers. What can I say? I was grateful. Arranging ain’t my thing.

IMG_6547

Little did I know that the next table would change my life. Fragrant roses. David Austin roses. I wanted them all!

IMG_6552

IMG_6551

I had heard of this rose but never, never seen it. It’s The McCartney Rose. I just can’t believe how gorgeous it is.

IMG_6554

Frederic Mistral. Sigh.

IMG_6556

Windemere. Are you feeling as faint as I am?

IMG_6557

Tamora

IMG_6558

Oklahoma

IMG_6559

Pat Austin. I’m tearing up.

IMG_6560

Cotillion. I have this one. (thank you, Carol!) But it doesn’t look like this!!!!

IMG_6561

The Prince. If anything, the actual flowers were darker than this photo. Did I mention that they all smell…great??

IMG_6562

Belle Storey

IMG_6563

Golly, that’s a gorgeous pic!

IMG_6564

The Prince stole my heart.

IMG_6565

IMG_6566

Papi Delbard. Twice because I adored him.

IMG_6567
IMG_6568

IMG_6569

Red Monte. He’s much redder than this photo. Unbelievably beautiful red rose. A patio rose not available in the U.S.

IMG_6570

Looks like I’ve wandered back to the fragrance table.

IMG_6571

Could you stay away?

IMG_6573

Richard’s Rose. It wasn’t on the fragrance table, but it smells yummy. And it’s not too bad lookin’ either.

IMG_6574 (2)
IMG_6574

IMG_6575
IMG_6576

Litchfield Angel. Does Carol grow every rose David Austin ever made??

IMG_6577

Marionette. Another Austin.

IMG_6578

IMG_6579

Two more.

IMG_6581

OMG. Princess Alexandra of Kent.

IMG_6582

Christopher Marlowe

IMG_6583

Martha’s Vineyard on the left. Carol said it’s an excellent rose. Take that to the bank.

IMG_6584
IMG_6585

Looking longingly toward the fragrance table.

IMG_6586

IMG_6587

My White Maman Cochet.

IMG_6592
IMG_6593

IMG_6594
IMG_6595

IMG_6596
IMG_6597

IMG_6598

Linda Rengarts and Carol Green put together a slide show of Buck Roses that played continuously, accompanied by classical music.

IMG_6601

IMG_6610

Julia Child

IMG_6611

Our Lady of Guadalupe

IMG_6612

IMG_6613

Charles Aznavour. I think Carol said this is her favorite or the best rose ever created. One or the other.

IMG_6614

Tea Rose William R. Smith

IMG_6616

Found rose Miss Caroline.

IMG_6617

Tea Rose Safrano. Parent of many beautiful roses.

IMG_6618

William R. Smith and White Maman Cochet

IMG_6621

What? A blank name tag? I must know the name of this one. What does she feed her Tea roses???

IMG_6622
IMG_6623

IMG_6624

Nastarana


IMG_6625

William R. Smith again.

IMG_6626
IMG_6627

IMG_6629

Here’s the smelly table again.

IMG_6630

Maggie, Found rose. Is she gorgeous or what??

IMG_6632

If I had taken ten photos of Frederic Mistral, would I have posted them all. Probably.

IMG_6633

Gorgeous again.

IMG_6634

The McCartney Rose. Love that color… again… still.

IMG_6635

The camera took me back over to the competition side of the room. I had to go.

IMG_6637
IMG_6641
IMG_6642

Louis Philippe. Love Louis.

IMG_6643

Monsieur Tillier, Tea Rose

IMG_6644

A future rosarian? He looks serious.

IMG_6648

Buff Beauty in the center.

IMG_6649
IMG_6650

Hope your butt’s not numb.

It was such a beautiful day of beautiful roses. Thanks to everybody who played a part. I loved it!

P.S.   Carol is Green Acres (you may have seen the name once or twice), a sweet and lovely grower of roses. This Society has an abundance of them.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing this!! You have single-handedly de-mystified the rose show ... and shown everyone what wonders can be found at one. This was a very welcome taste of Florida roses, in very chilly Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes you want to grow hundreds yourself. Such beauty all in one place.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, sherryocala. In two days you have done more for the rose show than most of us have accomplished in years. You are a marketing genius! The Marion County Rose Society is fortunate indeed, that you have generously shared your talents by presenting this gorgeous blog. Most of know how much work was involved. Members such as you are to be cherished in rose societies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One word...Stunning! Wow, so much beauty and sweet fragrance in one room. You must have thought you had discovered Shangri-la.

    I think I see...no, I'm certain that I see more roses in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a treat it must have been to have been surrounded by all those roses! I would have not been able to stay away from the 'smelly' table, either! Your white Maman Cochet looks perfect - so pristine. I really enjoyed seeing all the Austins. I had forgotten I want Litchfield Angel! And if you ever find the name of the rose with the blank card, I'd love to know it, too. Thanks for all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear HolleyGarden,

    The blank card is Baronne Henriette de Snoy, a Tea rose. I also noticed that the Class is not listed on the Maggie tag. It is a Bourbon and for me, one of the most delicious smelling of all the fragrant roses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I can almost smell the fragrance right through my computer screen. You must have had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the rose with a blank tag is gloire de dijon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somebody get my a bib.. I'm drooling.... HA! Awesome display of blooms. Can't wait to hear about this year's event!!!!

    ReplyDelete